The Office of Research and Policy Analysis (ORPA) strives to provide accurate information to faculty, staff, and researchers. Institutional information is available via the KCTCS Factbooks and the Decision Support System (DSS). Customized data sets for Master's theses, doctoral dissertations, or other complex or extensive research projects may be provided under certain terms and conditions. Access to non-customized information, such as surveys of KCTCS faculty, staff, and students, or permission to administer surveys to KCTCS faculty, staff, and students, may be provided under certain terms and conditions.
The following guidelines and procedures suggest the minimum information that must accompany a researcher's request for KCTCS data, including permission to conduct surveys to obtain information from KCTCS faculty, staff, or students. If you would like to submit a request for KCTCS information, please:
- Review the KCTCS Human Subjects Review Board (HSRB) policies, and, if appropriate, apply for Human Subjects approval. The HSRB process is separate from the process for requesting KCTCS information. However, persons requesting KCTCS information may be required to include their HSRB approval before their information requests are considered by the Office of Research and Policy Analysis.
- Submit a written information request to ORPA:
- Specify the data elements, time periods, and KCTCS colleges included in your request.
- Specify the perferred timeline and format for data output.
- Explain how the proposed research will benefit KCTCS, particular KCTCS colleges, or reflects KCTC's strategic priorities. Researchers are strongly encouraged to coordinate research priorities with college leadership, college research needs, or system-level research priorities.
- Indicate how confidentiality of records will be ensured, and the length of time records will be retained. Requests for personally-identifiable, non-directory information will not be honored. Data sets or information provided by KCTCS may not be used for projects in addition to or separate from the project specified in the original request.
- If applicable, provide a copy of your approved KCTCS HSRB application.
- Include appropriate citation with any use of KCTCS data or information.
Note: Submitting a request for customized or non-customized KCTCS information, including permission to administer surveys to KCTCS faculty, staff, or students, does not guarantee the request will be granted. Responses to requests for information to support doctoral dissertations and other research will be approved and prioritized at the discretion of the Vice Chancellor for Research and Policy Analysis.
Submitting a Request
These guidelines and procedures suggest the minimum information that must accompany a researcher's request for KCTCS data. If you have reviewed these guidelines and are ready to submit your request, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.