Open Records Request

protecting your right to know

As a public agency, we understand you want to know how we operate. That’s why we follow Kentucky’s laws on open records and open meetings.

If you’re looking for information (not including your transcript), there are steps you have to take to get certain documents, and KCTCS Interim General Counsel Pam Duncan can help. Her office is responsible for receiving the requests and reviewing records to provide an answer to each inquiry.

Submitting a request

In accordance with KRS 61.872, KCTCS requires a written request for records. Please specify the records you’re requesting, and send your request in writing to:  

Official Records Custodian
Office of General Counsel
300 North Main Street
Versailles, KY 40383

You can also submit your request by email to or by fax to (859) 256-3117.

what happens next

During this state of emergency, please note public agencies may take up to 10 days to respond to requests. We are working remotely at this time, and any request to review records in-person must be delayed during the state of emergency.

KCTCS has three business days to respond to a request for records, but may need additional time to get records that are in storage, are large or are otherwise hard to access. The General Counsel’s office will let you know if they need additional time.

You have the option of inspecting the records in person in the Office of General Counsel.  The Office is open for regular hours Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., excluding KCTCS holidays and closings.

When possible, KCTCS will email responsive records to the individual making the request.  If hard copies are requested, or electronic records are not an option, the cost for copies on standard 8.5" x 11" paper is ten cents per page, with payment due in advance or at the time of copying.  If the cost of copying and postage is less than $2.00, KCTCS will waive the cost.

If you have questions about this process, application of the Open Records law or different types of records, please contact Terri DeAtley in the Office of General Counsel at 859-256-3294 or email

Looking for your transcript?

If you need to request a transcript you don’t have to go through the open records process. You can order a transcript online or contact the Student Records Office at your college.


Current KCTCS employees looking to view their own personnel files don’t need to submit a formal open records request through this process. You should contact your college or system office Human Resources staff.